What is an oatmeal shampoo?
If there is no specific dog shampoo present in your home and you want to bathe your canine then making an oatmeal bath for dogs is a good option and it is an easy method and best homemade shampoo for dogs.
Oatmeal shampoo is a simple recipe which can be made in the home with regular oats at any time which is used for bathing dogs.
Oatmeal bath is a very good recipe for skin. By soaking in an oatmeal bath, many skin problems can be relieved it is also a remedy for itchy and irritated skin.
The oatmeal bath is suitable for both humans and dogs as it contains anti-inflammatory properties.
Oatmeal bath for dogs…
Ingredients to make an oatmeal bath for dogs:
- 1 cup of uncooked oats
- ½ cup of baking soda
- 1 quart of warm water.
Grind the oats or the oatmeal until it becomes flour. Take the obtained powder in a bowl, add baking soda and warm water and stir the complete composition.
Recipe of homemade oatmeal shampoo:
Simple steps to make oatmeal shampoo for dogs:
- Grind the oats finely by using any grinder, blender, coffee grinder or food processor.
- The powder made should absorb the water, so to clarify that check the oatmeal powder that it is finely grinded or not. To check that take a spoon of ground oats into a bowl or glass filled with warm water, observe that the oat powder should absorb the water present in the bowl.
- When the oats absorb the water stir the solution until it becomes a white milky liquid with a soft feel or soft texture.
- If the solution doesn’t turn into a liquid, then you have to grind the oats more finely and should try again until it becomes a white-coloured soft silky solution.
How to bath dogs with oatmeal shampoo?
Instructions for an oatmeal bath:
Steps to bath dogs with oatmeal:
- As described above, the oatmeal shampoo should be prepared before giving the bath
- You should be aware that while bathing your canine should not drink the oatmeal shampoo
- Grab a tub which is filled with warm water and pour the oatmeal powder into the tub and stir it.
- The tub should be filled depending upon the size of the dog
- Take your puppy and keep it in the tub, let her feel comfortable in the tub with water
- Now pour the oatmeal shampoo or the solution which is made earlier on the dog’s body
- Rub the oatmeal solution directly on your canine where there is any infection or bad skin area
- Massage the dog’s body after applying the solution or shampoo and let the dog soak for some time
- Rinse off the solution cleanly on the skin and the fur by using warm water
- Dry your dog with the towel and let her be under the sun for drying.
The water for bathing your canine should not be too hot; it should be just warm water which a dog can sustain. Hot water may cause more irritation to the dogs.
The dogs should be entirely soaked in the oatmeal bath; it may take some time.
An oatmeal bath can be mixed with the corn starch together with oats; this is very useful in cleaning a dirty dog.
Benefits of Oatmeal bath:
As mentioned above, the oatmeal consists of anti-inflammatory properties which help to prevent itching and irritated skin and also can cure skin infections.
The oatmeal bath provides a protective shield on the dog’s skin which keeps the moisture in, and it also slows the loss of hydration.
Many popular veterinarians state that Oatmeal baths are great in curing some allergies too and are very gentle on the pup’s skin and can cure the natural skin barrier.
Oatmeal bath is very beneficial for dogs; it cleans the dog’s skin and can also remove the harmful toxins present on the fur of the dogs.
Other than curing itchy and dry skin, the oatmeal bath can also absorb the odors on the dog’s skin and keeps the pup fresh.
If your dog has a different skin condition like diseased skin, then it is better to take a vet suggestion before you give your canine an oatmeal bath.
If your canine suffers from a skin condition, then only an oatmeal bath cannot cure the dog’s skin consulting a vet is very important in such cases for more treatment options.