Making your dog throw up is an emergency procedure which is used when your dog eats something toxic or inappropriate food or chemicals or may be some indigestible objects.
Our canine friend is most likely to eat or chew messed up things in our house, so we have to keep such things away from him/her, but it is impossible to keep your dog completely safe. We should be aware of some basic first aid treatments in emergency and making your dog throw up is one of them.
Making your canine friend vomit by yourself at home is not a suggested thing to do but in case of emergency and is mandatory to do so, then you have be aware of the process how it is done.
If you think that your dog ate something which is harmful, the first thing you have to do is to consult a vet. You can remove that substance out with your hands keep the dogs mouth open if it is still chewing that thing or if your pet has consumed the thing then you have to go for a vet.
Your vet will give the suitable treatment for your pet. When your vet is not available or if you can’t reach your vet on time, then you have to opt for the process of making your vomit.
You have to be very careful in performing this process and you should be aware of do’s and don’ts while making your dog vomit.
When to avoid making your pet throw up?
Making your dog is not a good option when he/she has a following symptoms of condition:
- Already vomiting
- Difficulty in breathing
- Severely lethargic
- Decreased swallowing ability
- Hyper activity
- Cosumed corrosive agents, sharp objects or any drugs
- Abdominal surgery or Megaesophagus
How to induce vomiting in a dog as a veterinarian
Here are the steps to make your dog vomit
- First, assess the dog’s condition and determine if inducing vomiting is necessary. If the dog has consumed a toxic substance or is showing signs of poisoning, it is important to induce vomiting as soon as possible.
- Administer hydrogen peroxide at a dose of 1-2 teaspoons (5-10 mL) for dogs under 20 pounds, and 2-4 teaspoons (10-20 mL) for dogs over 40 pounds. Use a syringe to administer the hydrogen peroxide directly into the dog’s mouth.
- Monitor the dog’s condition closely, and wait for signs of vomiting, such as retching or gagging. It may take a few minutes for the hydrogen peroxide to take effect. You have to wait minimum of 15 minutes for your dog to vomit.
- Once the dog has vomited, collect a sample of the Vomit and bring it to the clinic for analysis. This can help to determine the type of toxin that was consumed and by that your vet can go for further treatment.
- Monitor your dog after inducing vomiting, monitor your dog for any signs of distress or complications.
- Provide supportive care for the dog, including giving activated charcoal to adsorb any remaining toxins, and administering fluids to prevent dehydration.
- Closely monitor the dog’s condition and consult with a vet As soon as possible.
- Seek professional medical attention as soon as possible: If you suspect that your dog has ingested something toxic or dangerous, it is important to seek professional medical attention immediately.
- Understand that there are other methods too. If you are unable to induce vomiting, your veterinarian may use other methods such as stomach pumping or activated charcoal to remove the substance from your dog’s system.
- Inducing vomiting is not a substitute for professional medical care. Even if you are able to successfully induce vomiting, your dog may still require additional treatment to address any lasting effects of the poisoning or ingestion of foreign objects.
Keep in mind that inducing vomiting is not always the appropriate course of action: Some substances, such as acids, bases, and petroleum products, can cause more harm coming back up, and other, such as some kind of pill, will be neutralized by stomach acid and will not be effective if vomited.
In summary, inducing vomiting in a dog should only be done under the guidance of a veterinarian, and it is important to follow the instructions provided by your veterinarian to ensure the safety and well-being of your dog.
Remember, inducing vomiting is not always the appropriate course of action and is not substitute for professional medical care. If you suspect that your dog has ingested something toxic or dangerous, it is important to seek professional medical attention without fail.