Bilimbi, alternatively known as cucumber tree, is native to Southeast Asia, but now you can see this fruit-bearing tree throughout the complete tropical area. This bilimbi tree is popularly cultivated in Malaysia, Indonesia, the Philippines, Sri Lanka, Myanmar, India, Maldives, and central and South America.
The fruit is popular for its health benefits in humans. But is this fruit good for dogs as well? Can dogs eat Bilimbi?
The answer is no. Though the fruit is beneficial for humans but is having deteriorating health impacts on dogs. They metabolize in a different way in dogs.
The taste of Bilimbi is more toward the sour side, so it is unpleasant for dogs as well. The bilimbi fruit is also known to be rich in Oxalic acid content, which is potentially irritant for the gastrointestinal tract and causes digestive disturbances in dogs.
In this guide, we will discuss whether dogs eat Bilimbi? If not, what is the reason to avoid this fruit in dogs?
Can dogs eat Bilimbi?
As mentioned, Bilimbi should not be offered to dogs. The fruit is rich in oxalic acid content, which is known to have a negative impact on dog’s health.
Despite high oxalic acid content, this fruit is considered safe in Humans unless they don’t have any kidney disorder. But in the case of dogs, it is toxic because of different metabolism mechanisms and small size. The smaller the dog, the more the Bilimbi is harmful to your fido.
Accidental consumption of a little amount of Bilimbi does not cause much deteriorating impact on dogs. A small amount of oxalic acid can be processed by a healthy kidney. But in the case when your furry friend already has some kidney disorder, even the small quantity of this fruit can lead to significant unpleasant consequences.
When you offer the bilimbi fruit for a long time, it will put an unnecessary load on the kidney of your four-legged friend. Accidental overconsumption of this bilimbi fruit can cause muscle weakness, abnormal heart rhythm, respiratory paralysis, and finally, the dog’s death.
Other symptoms related to the toxicity by Bilimbi in dogs include vomiting, hypersalivation, lack of appetite, lethargy, diarrhea, tremors, weakness, blood in urine, etc.
Why should Bilimbi not be given to dogs?
Bilimbi fruit is known to contain oxalic acid, which is potentially toxic in dogs. A higher dose of this fruit will lead to more consumption of oxalic acid. This can cause kidney disorder due to unnecessary load on the kidney and may lead to the formation of calculi in the kidney. Since oxalic acid tends to combine with calcium salt thus is more prone to cause kidney stones in dogs.
Accidental ingestion of more amount of this fruit can cause disturbances in heart rhythm, tremors, muscle weakness, and finally, the death of the dog due to respiratory paralysis.
The bottom line
Though the Bilimbi is next to a nector for humans with no kidney disorder, it is not the same in dogs. This fruit is having a potential toxic impact on dog’s health because of the difference in metabolism. You should avoid offering the bilimbi fruit to your fido.